Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Hockey media and promotion

Terry Frei of the Denver Post (and other outlets) has penned a fantastic article for ESPN.com dealing with growing the game in parts of America where hockey shares as much of the collective sports psyche as celebrity Cricket.

His article, I think, is fantastically poignant given the position the NHL finds itself in currently. It has given itself a unique opportunity for a realignment, a rebirth; it can, with a little luck, start over and let some of its nasty bygones be bygones. It is a pro-sports league on parole, and I think it will prove to not be truant.

The NHL and Gary Bettman have recognized at least some of the flaws that make the game a tough sell. Defensive hockey can be unexciting at times, I'll give it that. But it certainly doesn't help that various media scribes constantly pound it into our skulls that defensive hockey is always boring and nobody wants to watch it. Ever. Have you ever read an article praising a fantastic defensive play or stellar coaching and system play? Defensive hockey can be appreciated, but we're very much trained to hate it.

Perhaps, instead of pining about the 8-5 barnburners of the 1980s, we can discuss the development of the modern goaltender and coaching styles and what they bring to the NHL. It's a little more nuanced than the adrenaline of a shootout, perhaps, but no less remarkable if viewed in the right light.

Why are so few scribes optomistic about the outcome of the lockout? Why are there more griping, negative cynics like Larry Brooks and Al Strachan than there are hopefuls like Terry Frei? Why, instead of embracing this new beginning for the NHL, are many of us -- many of us with loud voices -- griping about this and that term and that the salary cap will destroy 'what little excitement there is left'?

It's no wonder hockey is a hard sell when Joe Sportsfan reads nothing but negatives about the league. How many times is he going to stop on ESPN to watch the Flyers play the Leafs when he's heard countless times how boring and defensive hockey is? Never mind that a Leafs/Flyers tilt is always a good game, he's not going to give it the time of day.

So, to Al, Larry, and the other NHL-hating journalists out there: if you love the game, so will the people who read your work. For many people, it starts with you.

4 Comments:

At 1:43 PM, Anonymous online advertising said...

Very interesting post i have to say. I have similar info on my site if you're interested free affiliate program related site. Feel free to take a look :)

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger NewsBlogger said...

I am Dave Marshall, and I have SEARCHING out FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION ON popups and found your site.
Sorry, I have see that your Hockey media and promotion wasn't exactly, what I was looking for, but, certainly got my attention and interest. If you like you can contact me. Your page I see row why I found when I was looking for popups related information. Anyway, I am glad I stopped by even though this isn’t a perfect match. Wish you success with your site.

Fritz

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger NewsBlogger said...

Hello, my name is Dave Marshall,
I have SEARCHING out FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION abouttraffic and found your site.
I was looking out for traffic related information. Anyway, I am glad I have stopped by even though this isn’t a perfect match.
Sorry, I have see that your Hockey media and promotion wasn't exactly, what I was looking for, but, certainly got my attention and interest.
It does will be a pleasure, if you contact me. Perhaps we have some same ideas. Wish you success with your site.

Fritz

 
At 4:40 AM, Blogger Legal and Finance Consulting said...

Hi, I am Dave Marshall, and like to contact you!

By my SEARCHING out FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION about low cost I have found your site.
Of course, I was looking out for low cost related information and I have found your Hockey media and promotion. Sorry, I have seen that isn't a perfect match. But, anyway, I am glad I have stopped by even though this isn’t a perfect match. What you have in your content is very interesting for most people.
I like to set up a link to you. What you think about?
It does will be a pleasure, if you contact me. Perhaps we have some same ideas. Wish you success with your site.

Fritz

 

Post a Comment

<< Home